Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I am blessed!

Another fun perk of working for yourself
I have been really touched by my day out with Mike Jr. yesterday and the more I reflect on it, the more I realize that where we are today is because of the choices that were made in the past. Here are some thoughts:
1. Working from home has enabled me to be there for my kids. I’ve been room mom, gone on field trips, and it doesn’t matter if it’s 1st grade or 12th, that quality time with my kids is a total blessing.
2. My children are all very successful in their lives. They are honor students, they participate in school, and they attend church and put God first in their lives (and not necessarily in that order).
3. I get to greet them as they come home from school. How was your day? What homework do you have? What do you mean you had a fight with your friend? You got a Valentine from a secret admirer? Tell me about that? Mom, can you help me make cookies for a class party tomorrow? Can you help me with…..?
4. My kids love to cook and I am thankful that I have had the time to teach them during dinner prep times, so now when my day is a little chaotic, I can say, we’re having chicken tonight for dinner, can you figure something out? And then know that we will get a good meal, prepared with love.
5. My kids are caring, kind, and generous. They show love in many different ways.
6. Megan is devoted to helping her class prepare for this week of winter carnival; she has worked effortlessly to make things ready. Her caring comes out in contribution, whether it is at school, or cooking, or helping with laundry and hugs. Megan is 15 years old.
7. Michael said yesterday, “I want to take you to lunch for Valentine’s Day.” My heart swells thinking about the generosity in that simple action. He didn’t balk at the restaurant bill, knowing with this limited schedule, it was a whole paycheck ($30) for a treat for his mom. Please note, Mike is very frugal, and since he does have limited hours in his job and he pays for his own flight training and gas for his car, he gauges everything he does on how much time he could be flying with that money. For instance, $30 is ½ hour of flight time. Mike is 17 years old.
8. Matthew made us a Valentine’s Day card. He’s also very affectionate, kisses and hugs at all times of the day. He’s 13 years old. Do teenagers still do this kind of thing? Mine do!

I can’t help but wonder would my kids have turned out this way, had I worked full time outside of the home? Did going on field trips with them make a difference in their attitude towards school? Did greeting them at the door when they get home contribute to their willingness to spend time with me when there are other things they could be doing? I don’t know. I am just really thankful and blessed that these are my kids and they do the things they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment